The USDA-APHIS is actively pursuing the acceptance of the program in many countries including China, please submit additional countries that are not on the list that would be beneficial to [email protected].
Current list of countries that accept the NHLA Kiln Drying Certificate:
Australia (Accepts KD Certificate, but with higher temperature requirements 74°C for 18 hours. )
European Union Members*†: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and United Kingdom. Non-EU Members*†: Albania, Montenegro, and Switzerland follow the EU requirements.
*Oak species only, bark free.
† Ash with unlimited wane is now accepted on the NHLA KD Certificate with a PHYTO with additional steps needed below:
1. Separate Process Manual for this portion of the program.
a. Including Aerial photo of drawing of facility.
b. Process flow chart of operation.
2. Bark free Ash with a minimum of 50 sq. cm on any one piece.
3. Drying period of 14 days, including air dry time.
4. Dry bulb temperature of 160 F for 20 hours.
5. Each pack must have a KD Clip and the number recorded on the KD Certificate.
6. KD Certificate and PHYTO for each shipment.
7. Each pack marked with KD – HT.
8. Each pack must be 10% MC or Less, tested with a moisture meter and recorded for auditor.
9. Currently, an APHIS representative will need to inspect shipments prior to obtaining a PHYTO.
KD Certification Program fees are as follows and include audit charges:
NHLA Member: $500 per month
Non-NHLA Member: $650 per month
Postage for sending Certificates and ID Tags
ID Tags (Currently at $11.00 per hundred)
Certificate Paper (Currently at $11.00 per hundred sheets)